Are you looking for a US taxation service in Hong Kong?
Need help with your US tax planning?
Facing challenges with US expat tax filing?
Are you having questions about US income tax for expats?

American Taxation Service in Hong Kong for US Expats and Those Exposed to the US Tax System

Our clients agree that we provide the best US tax service in Hong Kong for Americans working here. We are an American company that provides American taxes services to Americans living abroad as well as everyone exposed to the US taxation system.

We are a certified IRS tax preparer and offer free consultations for Americans abroad who want help filing their taxes with the IRS or need advice on how to pay less in income taxes.

Hayden T Joseph does business as (DBA) Advanced American Tax. Advanced American Tax (a member of Moores Rowland Asia Pacific) provides a wide range of services for Americans living in Hong Kong as well as US expats who have exposure to the American tax system, including individuals, companies, and trusts. Free consultations on filing with the IRS and information on how to maximize your deductions are available.

Play Video about HTJ.tax US Tax Accountant - Hong Kong
Featured On
Founded in 1980

Why Choose Us As Your Prefered US Tax Preparer and US Tax Consultant in Hong Kong?

Deductions and Allowances for the US Expatriates in HK

Expatriates may be eligible for US tax deductions and allowances when deducting moving expenses, reducing taxes withheld from their compensation, and taking advantage of foreign earned income exclusions.

We will review your situation with you and make recommendations on the best way to reduce your tax liability.

100% Accurate US Tax Compliance

When you’re a US citizen living abroad (eg. Hong Kong), it’s essential to comply with the complicated tax obligations of both countries, which is difficult for most people. Consequently, they often find themselves in trouble due to this complexity and are penalized because they didn’t take care of their requirements from the beginning. HTJ will ensure that you are compliant and avoid any potential penalties.

Wide Range of Tax Services for Everyone Exposed to the US Tax System

HTJ is also here for those who have no intention of living in America again, but still require tax help or advice about their exposure to American taxes. If you work remotely from Hong Kong (e.g., as a freelancer) or just make money in American dollars (e.g., through currency exchange), then your income will be subject to American taxation laws even if all other aspects of your life reside outside America’s borders, and HTJ can handle this complexity on your behalf with ease!

Income Tax and Self-Employment Tax Assistance for US Expats in Hong Kong

HTJ provides tax assistance to both employees of American companies or freelancers who work remotely from Hong Kong on a project basis as well as individuals receiving income through currency exchange. We can help you with your American tax obligations and ensure you are compliant with the IRS.

Utilizing Our US Tax Services Will Save You Time and Effort

There are many reasons to choose HTJ.tax for your American tax service in Hong Kong, but our main focus is on reducing the stress and time involved with filing taxes for Americans abroad.

We’re a great option if you need to deal with your US taxes but don’t have time to do it all yourself. We will explain each and every step in detail so you know what’s going on, and we’ll work hard at making sure everything is accurate for an optimal outcome.

We Are Among the Most Knowledgeable and Trusted US Tax Service providers in Hong Kong

While our office in Hong Kong is relatively recent, we’ve been providing our US tax consultancy services to Americans living abroad (including HK) for a long time, and we’re the go-to company when it comes to filing taxes with the IRS.

Our Rates are Competitive and Our Service is Personalized to Your Needs

While we aren’t actually trying to be the cheapest US tax preparer in Hong Kong, HTJ.tax offers competitive rates as well as personalized service for your needs.

We Guarantee 100% Confidentiality and Discretion at All Times

Most of our clients are high net-worth individuals that demand complete confidentiality and discretion. You can count on us to keep your information private, so don’t worry about the potential for embarrassment or legal implications in regards to any sensitive matters we might have to discuss with you.

We Have Multiple Offices All Over the World So We Can Assist Your US Tax Needs Wherever You Go

Based on the needs of our clients and their geographical locations, we have started to invest in offices all over the world. Some of our locations include Singapore (main office), Portugal, United Arab Emirates (Dubai), Spain and, well, Hong Kong.

We Are a Company That Offers US Tax Advice for All Levels of Complexity, Not Just Basic Accounting Services

Our assistance goes beyond just helping you with your tax returns. We also offer help on topics such as US estate planning, asset protection, and immigration law matters for Americans living abroad.

HTJ is a full-service provider of USA tax requirements for US citizens living in HK as well as those in Hong Kong who are exposed to the US taxation system.

Our Team is Composed of Professional US Tax Accountants Based in Hong Kong Who Know How to Handle All Your Needs

Our staff is made up of qualified US Tax Accountants. They have years of experience dealing with the complexities that arise from this special situation and will work hard to understand your needs so they can provide you with a tailored solution that is 100% guaranteed.

Our team members are experts in US tax law and have helped thousands of clients over the years. We know that this can be a daunting task, but we’ll do our best to make it as painless as possible for you.

Local Knowledge – We Know How to Help You Navigate Through All the Rules and Regulations That Apply to American Expats Living in Hong Kong.

To guarantee full compliance it is mandatory to know both the US and Hong Kong tax laws. Here at HTJ.tax, we are dedicated to serve you as an American overseas and ensure that your tax obligations in both countries have been met.

We Have a Team of Qualified and Experienced American Tax Advisers Who Specialize in Helping Americans Living Abroad.

Our team is composed of US tax accountants based in Hong Kong. They have years of experience dealing with the complexities that arise from this special situation and will work hard to understand your needs so they can provide you with a tailored solution that is 100% guaranteed.

We have your back (no matter what may come up when it comes to taxes).

We Are Conveniently Located in Hong Kong

While we are primarily an online business and do not encourage walk-ins, we do have an office in Hong Kong. Our US tax consultancy services are always available, but if you need to meet with someone face-to-face that’s not a problem either.

You Can Rely on Us to Provide You with Quality Service Throughout Your US Tax Return Process

We would be happy to provide references from our existing clients in Hong Kong.

We Speak English so There is No Need to Worry About Language Barriers

While our multi-national team is located in different parts of the world, we all speak English so you can rest assured that there will be no miscommunication when it comes to your taxes.

If you are looking for a US tax accountant or US tax consulting firm in Hong Kong, then by now you should know that we are one of the best options.

Let’s arrange a free call and discuss your needs.

Our US Tax Expertise Includes:

US Tax Compliance (HK)

Individual clients come to us with complex, multi-jurisdiction tax issues related to cross-border employment and investment opportunities. Similar to an interpreter or guide who helps travelers understand the language and customs of a particular country, we explain tax concepts and laws that are foreign to our clients. We prepare U.S. federal and state income tax returns for U.S. expatriates, foreign nationals and individuals with international financial interests.

US Tax Consulting (HK)

Our international tax consulting expertise includes analysis of tax treaties, sourcing of income, and reporting of foreign bank accounts, as well as foreign corporations, partnerships and trusts. As consultants, we help individual clients develop cost-effective strategies, propose solutions and prepare individual tax projections. We also work closely with our clients’ attorneys and other advisors to provide comprehensive advice

Just Some of Our US Tax Services in Hong Kong

We have significant experience assisting our clients with complicated, international tax issues.

The following list represents some of the areas in which we have provided both planning and compliance services for our clients:

  • US shareholders of foreign corporations 
  • US partners in foreign partnerships
  • US grantors and beneficiaries of foreign trusts
  • US shareholders of Passive Foreign Investment Companies (PFICS)
  • Reporting for Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBARs)
  • Blocked income reporting for deferral of tax in currency restriction situations
  • Donations to foreign charities by US private foundations via expenditure responsibility grants
  • Income tax treaty analysis for various issues including determination of residency, re-sourcing of income to avoid double taxation, reduction or exemption of tax
  • Determination of residency for income tax purposes for foreign nationals including optimization of elections for first and last year of residency
  • Social Security tax implications to compensation of foreign nationals and US expatriates including application and analysis of Totalization agreements
  • Foreign tax credit optimization including analysis of paid versus accrued methods and maximizing foreign source income
  • Optimization for US expatriates including analysis of foreign tax credit versus foreign earned income exclusions
  • Reporting of foreign rental properties including proper depreciation methods and treatment of rental of a principal residence
  • Reporting and planning for US real property interests by nonresidents including applications for reduction/exemption from withholding on sale proceeds
  • Reporting and planning for nonresidents with US investments or US effectively-connected income
  • State residency and domicile issues for foreign nationals and US expatriates
  • Reporting gifts and inheritances from nonresidents
  • Consulting to employers of international assignees relating to tax equalization policy development and application, tax planning for international assignments including coordination with tax advisors in local jurisdictions, compensation structuring, payroll reporting and employee education and tax return preparation
  • Determination of residency for US citizens in US possessions
  • Given the uniqueness of the U.S. Tax Code, we are perfectly positioned to assist American Citizens, American Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) and American companies who want to expand to Asia with:
  • Incorporation and corporate structuring
  • Annual returns for both Asia and the United States
  • Work passes across the region
  • Corporate secretarial and full accounting services

For American Citizens, American Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) and American companies already in Asia and Europe, we can assist with U.S. tax issues including -

  • US Tax Amnesty – both Offshore Voluntary Disclosure (OVDP) and Streamlined
  • FATCA compliance including Form 8966, W-8 Ben-E and entity analysis
  • Reporting of foreign companies, partnerships and foreign trusts
  • Passive Foreign Investment Companies (PFICs)
  • Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBARs)
  • Pre-immigration Tax Planning
  • Cross border tax planning
  • Expat Salary negotiation
  • Corporate structuring
  • ITINs (U.S. Tax IDs)
  • Ordinary 1040s

Typical American taxation questions we answer on a daily basis are:

Our US tax advisors in our HK office can provide you with all the necessary guidance and help whether you prefer a DIY approach or you’d rather leave it to an experienced US tax accountant and save your precious time.

Whether you’re living in or moving to HK, you will most certainly need to obtain a solid understanding of both local and international rules (like double taxation treaties) that are applicable to expats in Hong Kong. 

Or, as an alternative, you may put that burden on our shoulders.

Tax filing for US citizens living abroad (including HK) is our expertise and we’d gladly help.

Common US Expat Tax Challenges and Opportunities in Hong Kong

  • Whether you are considering US expat tax advisory services or just browsing the web, here’s what you need to know: Americans and US Green Card holders living in HK are required by law to file a US tax return each year.
  • You might be subject to FBAR and/or FATCA reporting requirements.
  • Many of our clients can lower their US tax bills and avoid dual taxation with certain tax strategies (like foreign earned income exclusion or foreign tax credit). Depending on your situation, different strategies might fit you better. 
  • Also, there are numerous rebates and incentives available to you that you might not be aware of.

A Few Reasons to Choose Us as Your Preferred American Expat Taxation Service in HK

Looking for an American Tax Service in HK?

We’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to get in touch