If you are exposed to the US Tax System, taking care of your taxes can be challenging
We Simplify International US Taxes for You
Hayden T Joseph does business as (DBA) Advanced American Tax.
Advanced American Tax (a member of Moores Rowland Asia Pacific) provides a range of professional taxation services catering primarily to anyone with US Tax exposure including American citizens and green card holders living outside of the US.
Moores Rowland Asia Pacific offers the full range of accounting services including audit, tax, accounting, payroll, risk advisory, IFRS, restructuring and transaction support.
Our clients are increasingly looking beyond their national borders for new opportunities. The close relationships within the network mean that clients can easily be connected to a like-minded firm of professionals in another country, that they can be assured will have their business interests at heart – no matter what services are required or where they are needed.
Our US Tax Expertise Includes:
Individual clients come to us with complex, multi-jurisdiction tax issues related to cross-border employment and investment opportunities. Similar to an interpreter or guide who helps travelers understand the language and customs of a particular country, we explain tax concepts and laws that are foreign to our clients. We prepare U.S. federal and state income tax returns for U.S. expatriates, foreign nationals and individuals with international financial interests.
Our international tax consulting expertise includes analysis of tax treaties, sourcing of income, and reporting of foreign bank accounts, as well as foreign corporations, partnerships and trusts. As consultants, we help individual clients develop cost-effective strategies, propose solutions and prepare individual tax projections. We also work closely with our clients’ attorneys and other advisors to provide comprehensive advice
We have significant experience assisting our clients with complicated, international tax issues.
The following list represents some of the areas in which we have provided both planning and compliance services for our clients:
- US shareholders of foreign corporations
- US partners in foreign partnerships
- US grantors and beneficiaries of foreign trusts
- US shareholders of Passive Foreign Investment Companies (PFICS)
- Reporting for Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBARs)
- Blocked income reporting for deferral of tax in currency restriction situations
- Donations to foreign charities by US private foundations via expenditure responsibility grants
- Income tax treaty analysis for various issues including determination of residency, re-sourcing of income to avoid double taxation, reduction or exemption of tax
- Determination of residency for income tax purposes for foreign nationals including optimization of elections for first and last year of residency
- Social Security tax implications to compensation of foreign nationals and US expatriates including application and analysis of Totalization agreements
- Foreign tax credit optimization including analysis of paid versus accrued methods and maximizing foreign source income
- Optimization for US expatriates including analysis of foreign tax credit versus foreign earned income exclusions
- Reporting of foreign rental properties including proper depreciation methods and treatment of rental of a principal residence
- Reporting and planning for US real property interests by nonresidents including applications for reduction/exemption from withholding on sale proceeds
- Reporting and planning for nonresidents with US investments or US effectively-connected income
- State residency and domicile issues for foreign nationals and US expatriates
- Reporting gifts and inheritances from nonresidents
- Consulting to employers of international assignees relating to tax equalization policy development and application, tax planning for international assignments including coordination with tax advisors in local jurisdictions, compensation structuring, payroll reporting and employee education and tax return preparation
- Determination of residency for US citizens in US possessions
- Given the uniqueness of the U.S. Tax Code, we are perfectly positioned to assist American Citizens, American Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) and American companies who want to expand to Asia with:
- Incorporation and corporate structuring
- Annual returns for both Asia and the United States
- Work passes across the region
- Corporate secretarial and full accounting services
For American Citizens, American Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) and American companies already in Asia and Europe, we can assist with U.S. tax issues including -
- US Tax Amnesty – both Offshore Voluntary Disclosure (OVDP) and Streamlined
- FATCA compliance including Form 8966, W-8 Ben-E and entity analysis
- Reporting of foreign companies, partnerships and foreign trusts
- Passive Foreign Investment Companies (PFICs)
- Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBARs)
- Pre-immigration Tax Planning
- Cross border tax planning
- Expat Salary negotiation
- Corporate structuring
- ITINs (U.S. Tax IDs)
- Ordinary 1040s
A Few Reasons to Choose Us as Your Preferred American Expat Taxation Service
As an American Expat in London I highly recommend Derren Joseph as a tax accountant. Derren completed my taxes on time and in a very professional manner. He kept me in the loop as he worked on my project and always kept to his timelines. He was up-to-date on all the latest tax changes and was able to apply several new stipulations that resulted in a refund! I will use… more
If you’re an expat and unfortunately still can’t escape the grasps of Uncle Sam and his merry tax band, Darren is your man. Unfortunately, he can’t do a Robin Hood but does his job well. He is very helpful, knowledgeable, and gets backs to you very quickly. He reminds me of the customer service that I’m used to that somehow alludes these wonderful British Isles. Overall, I would give him 5 stars and would thoroughly recommend him.
I have been expat most of my adult life. I have gone through various accountants for US tas preparation both in the U.S and in Hong Kong. Due to the complicated nature of American taxes I thought it was important to hire someone who was well versed in the IRS tax code. With that being said Derren was extremely professional and quick to respond. He prepared my tax return quickly and the final draft did not even contain any errors. Overall, I am very satisfied and I look forward to working with Derren again.