Leaving the US Permanently with / without Retirement Funds?


Please feel free to visit https://htj.tax/podcast/ to watch / listen to conversations with thought leaders

We have several clients each month surrendering a US passport or Green Card.  A common question we are asked is about tax efficient methods for extracting retirement funds from the US.

If we assume a mixed couple (one a US taxpayer and the other a NRA or non resident alien), an approach to consider would be to have:

  • the NRA spouse open an account at the brokerage firm,
  • the US spouse gift the appreciated assets in this portfolio under the gift tax exemption to the NRA spouse,
  • the NRA spouse may, at their discretion, sell these securities and mutual funds which should not be subject to capital gains tax
  • reinvest in ideally non-US funds and ETFs if one wishes to also avoid the withholding tax on dividends

Talk to US qualified advisers today…

Related Posts