Making Tax Payments to HMRC

1.Bank details for online or telephone banking, CHAPS, Bacs

You can make a transfer from your bank account by Faster Payments, CHAPS or Bacs.

Your bill will tell you which account to pay in to. If you don’t have a bill, or you’re not sure, use HMRC Cumbernauld.

Account details to use

Sort code

Account number

Account name

08 32 10


HMRC Cumbernauld

08 32 10


HMRC Shipley

If your account is overseas

Bank identifier code (BIC)

Account number (IBAN)

Account name



HMRC Cumbernauld



HMRC Shipley

2. By cheque through the post

You can send a cheque by post to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).


You don’t need to include a street name, city name or PO box with this address.

If you have a reply envelope showing a different address (HMRC, Bradford BD98 1YY), you can still use the envelope to post your cheque.

Allow 3 working days for your payment to reach HMRC.

What to include

Make your cheque payable to ‘HM Revenue and Customs only’ followed by your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number. You’ll find this on your paying-in slip.

Include the paying-in slip HMRC sent you (if you still get paper statements). Don’t fold the paying-in slip or cheque or fasten them together.

If you don’t have a paying-in slip

You can print a slip to use to pay by post. You can’t use this at a bank or Post Office.

3. By debit or credit card online – THE BEST METHOD

You can pay online.

There’s a fee if you pay by credit card. The fee isn’t refundable.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) no longer uses BillPay. You’ll be directed to a new service to pay your tax online.

Use your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) followed by the letter ‘K’ as your payment reference. You’ll find it either:

  • in your HMRC online account
  • on your paying-in slip, if you get paper statements


HMRC will accept your payment on the date you make it, not the date it reaches their account – including on bank holidays and weekends.

Related Posts